Yoga Poses- Abdominal fat remains as one of the “not-so-easy” body fat regions to burn. I know how uncomfortable it might seem with a bulging stomach in your smart office dress.
Or how embarrassed you might feel with a flabby tummy in a bikini at a pool party or the beach. But it’s nothing to worry about. These yoga poses for belly fat can be of help.
Tummy fat may build up as a result of your lifestyle, unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, and high-stress levels.
So, it’s essential to keep in mind that these yoga poses for belly fat will only be useful if you make some changes in your feeding habits and lifestyle.
Also, before we proceed, I would like to clear the air on the concept of “spot reduction” concerning weight loss.
It might indeed be impossible to aim at losing fat in just a specific part of the body while the other body parts remain as they are.
However, there are exercises that you can do more to exert some pressure on the abdominal area. There are yoga poses that help to stretch the tummy and work the abs.
A regular yoga practice can contribute to a flatter, stronger stomach, as most of the poses require you to use ab muscles for stabilization.
1. Boat Pose ( Naukasana )
Regular practice of this yoga pose is one of the sure means to reduce belly fat. This pose is one of the most popular yoga poses for belly fat reduction.
Although it might seem a bit difficult to maintain your balance with this pose, it is the answer to those pesky tummy fats.
Benefits of Boat Pose
- Strengthens muscles in the abdominal, thighs, arms and shoulders
- Tones abs and reduce belly fat
- Improves digestion and prevents constipation
- Enhances healthy blood circulation
- Relieves stress and enhances your mood
How to Do a Boat Pose
- Lie down on the yoga mat with your palms face down on both sides of your body
- Stretch out your legs, making your toes face the ceiling and palms resting on either side of your body facing the ground.
- Breathe in deeply. As you exhale, lift your body (the head, chest, and legs) from the ground.
- Stretch out your arms to make them parallel with your legs.
- Make sure your fingers are in the same line as the toes and fix your gaze on the toes.
- While maintaining normal breathing, hold this position for 30-60 secs depending on your stamina
- Inhale, exhale and get back slowly into the starting position lying straight on your back
- Do five reps for a start. You can increase the number of your repetitions as you get better with the pose. Relax for 15 seconds after each repetition.
- This pose is not suitable for patients with blood pressure cases and heart diseases
- Also, asthma patients shouldn’t take the boat pose
- It must be avoided by pregnant women and women that are menstruating
- If you have spinal cord disorder or a severe back injury, you shouldn’t do this pose.
2. Camel Pose – Ustrasana
The camel pose is one of the very effective yoga poses for belly fat. It involves a complete backward stretch that will help to tone the abdominal muscles.
This pose exerts tension of the muscles of the mid-region, works on the muscles of your stomach, and helps to burn excess fat in the region.
Benefits of Camel Pose
- Burns belly fat and thigh fat
- Also helps to strengthen the back muscles
- Weight loss
- Relieves menstrual discomfort
- Improves blood circulation
- Treats tiredness and lower back pain
How to Do a Camel Pose
- Start with a kneeling position sitting on the heels.
- Slowly, lift your body from your knees such that you are now sitting with your whole body weight supported by your knees.
- Exhale deeply, and arch your back. Bring your hands behind your body, and try to hold your ankles, one by one.
- Bend your head behind and stretch backward, until you experience a stretch in your belly.
- Stay in this position 20 to 30 seconds
- Breathe out and slowly relax.
- Return to the starting position
- Do five reps and relax for 15 seconds for each repetition.
Don’t practice this pose if you are pregnant or have any of the following illness:
- heart problems
- lower back injury
- Neck injury
- Knee pain
- high or low blood pressure
- a migraine
- spinal injury
3. Raised Foot Pose – Uttanpadasana
This pose is one of the most natural yoga poses for belly fat. Women who just delivered may find this pose comfortable and relaxing to reduce flabby belly pouch.
The raised foot yoga pose helps to reduce fat in the lower abdominal region and also the thighs.
Benefits of The Raised Foot Pose
- Reduces stress, fatigue, and aids relaxation
- Tones lower abs
- Reduces thigh fat
- Treats back pain
- Improves blood circulation
How To Do The Raise Foot Pose
- Lie with your back on the yoga mat with your palms facing the floor
- Straighten out your legs and make the heels touch each other
- Breathe in deeply and raise your legs off the floor
- Make sure you keep your legs straight
- Hold this posture for at least 30 seconds
- Relax and return to the starting position.
- Do ten reps with a resting interval of 15 seconds between reps.
- Avoid this pose if you have a spinal cord injury, or you’re recovering from one
- Pregnant women can not practice this yoga pose
- Also, people suffering from a muscle pull cannot undergo this pose.
4. Cobra Pose – Bhujangasana
If you want to lose belly pouch badly, the cobra pose is tour best bet. This yoga pose is beneficial for strengthening several parts of the body.
With so much pressure on the abdominal muscle, it is one of the great yoga poses for belly fat.
Benefits of The Cobra Pose
- Tones the abs and reduce belly fat
- Reduces fatigue and stress
- Improves flexibility
- Eases back pain
How to Do a Cobra Pose
- Lie on the yoga mat with your belly and your legs fully stretched and slightly parted and toes touching the floor.
- Place your hands on both sides with palms facing down
- Put your palms beneath the shoulders
- Inhale and slowly lift your chest and head off the floor with your gaze fixed on the ceiling (this is the cobra posture)
- press your feet, hips, and thighs close to the floor
- Maintain this posture for 15-30 seconds
- Gently bring down your body and relax
- Do not continue this pose if you feel severe pain in the abdominal region
- The pose is not meant to be done by pregnant women and people with a back injury
5. Standing Forward Bend – Padahastasana
This is yet another excellent pose for belly fat. This pose suppresses and contracts the abdominal muscles to cause belly fat reduction.
Benefits of Standing Forward Bend
- Tones the muscles of the hips, hamstring, and abdomen
- Soothes tension in the spine and enhances flexibility
- Improves digestion, as your abdominal muscles are toned
- Reduce stress, depression, and fatigue
How to Do Standing Forward Bend
- Stand in the Tadasana pose, placing your hands on either side of the body. Your feet should rest together, with the heels touching each other.
- Inhaling deeply, lift your hand upwards.
- As you exhale, bend forward from your waist and place both palms on the floor
- Ensure you do not turn your knees
- Holding your breath, tuck your tummy in, and keep the position for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Exhale, leave your toes, and lift your body to come back to the standing pose.
- Do ten reps with an interval of 10 seconds between two repetitions.
Do not take this pose if you’re pregnant or have a spinal disc disorder.
6. Wind Relieving Pose – Pavanamuktasana
You can’t have enough of all the existing yoga asanas. These yoga poses for belly fat also help the body to perform its functions properly.
For overall weight loss, belly fat reduction, and good health, you should include this particular pose in your arsenal.
Benefits of the Wind Relieving Pose
- Toning of legs and arms muscles
- Also strengthens the back and abdominal muscles
- Aids digestion
- Weight loss and burning of belly fat
- Burns fat in the thighs and buttock
- Improves the circulation of blood in the hips
How to Do the Wind Relieving Pose
- Lie flat on your mat with your back to the ground
- Place your feet together and arms at both sides
- Inhale deeply, and as you exhale, bring your knees close to your chest, pressing your thighs tightly to your abdominal muscles.
- Lift your head making your chin touch your knees
- Clasp your hands tightly around your legs
- Stay in the position for 1 minute
- Breathe out slowly and return to the starting position. Relax for a few seconds before repeating the move
- Do 7-10 reps.
- People who have undergone surgery in the abdominal area should not do this pose.
- Patients with spine injury must not do this pose.
- Don’t try this move immediately after eating or when you’re full.
- It’s not a pose for pregnant women, high blood patients of people with heart-related issues.
7. Seated Forward Bend – Paschimottanasana
I’m sorry this pose is coming in the latter part of this piece. Just like other yoga poses for belly fat, it’s highly effective when it comes to tone abdominal muscles.
But, it is one of the basic yoga poses that every healthy person can dig even in your living room.
This simple pose is effective for weight loss and the burning of accumulated fat in the abdominal region.
Benefits of the Seated Forward Bend
- It’s a perfect pose for relaxation as it reduces stress and fatigue
- This pose also strengthens the muscles of your arms, back, shoulders and hamstrings
- It also enhances the flexibility of the back
- Relieves lower back pain
How To Do The Seated Forward Bend Pose
- Sit with your spine erect and stretch your legs out in front of you
- Ensure that your toes are pointing towards the ceiling
- Breathe in deeply and stretch your hands to grab your feet without making a bend in the elbow.
- Then, stretch your back to the maximum limit
- Place your head on your knees
- Slowly return to the sitting position you started with
- Do ten reps
- Beginners should make this move slowly and carefully
- If you’re practicing this pose for this first time, do not exceed your limit. Don’t force an excessive limit on yourself.
- People who have spinal disc disorders or had abdominal surgery should avoid this pose.
8. Corpse Pose – Shavasana
I want to the round-up this post with this super relaxation yoga pose. You might feel it shouldn’t be on the list of yoga poses for belly fat.
But the corpse pose is ideal for any yoga session you take. It enables you to relax after a rigorous workout session.
Benefits of The Corpse Pose
- Perfect for relaxation
- Reduces stress and fatigue
- Aids the repair of tissues
- Since the pose requires an extremely minimal effort, it also helps to lower blood pressure
- This pose can help to calm down anxiety and fear
- Finally, it also reduces insomnia
How To Do The Cobra Pose
- Lie down with your back to the floor
- Stretch out your legs and keep your feet together
- Place your hands by the sides of your body
- Close your eyes
- Breathe in deeply and breathe out leaving your body to relax completely
- Lie in this position until your breathing stabilizes and your mind is at peace
It’s true that yoga poses for belly fat can help burn fat deposited in your stomach.
But, you cannot rely solely on these yoga poses for a fast and effective belly fat reduction. It is essential also to maintain a healthy lifestyle and eat healthily.
Also, try all your best to avoid gaining weight as it may contribute to the deposition of fat in the belly.